2022 Annual Meeting Minutes

Dec 30, 2022

Annual Meeting Minutes of the J105 Fleet 5 held at the Chicago Yacht Club Monroe Station on 12/17/22 11:00 am

 

Present:

John Weglarz – The Asylum

Branwell Lepp – It Wasn’t Me

Peter Schwartzbach – Phanton

Gerhard Zinserling – Y Not

Mike Newman – Valhalla

Judith & Ross McLean – Esprit d’Écosse

Josh Lutton – Kinship

Mark Fruin – Nycosaur

Mike Sheppard – Flying Pig

Clark Pellet – Sealark (Via Zoom)

Dave Michals – Attitude (Via Zoom)

 

Proxies: Ralph Krauss, Mike Hettel, Gyt Petkus

 

Next meeting:

Spring 2023, Date and Time TBD

  1. Announcements

Josh brought the meeting to order and welcomed the attendees 11:10 am

Josh congratulated all the 2022 Race Series winners and thanked all participants in the 2022 GLIOR

  1. Discussion

Josh – San Diego spring training: San Diego Jworld only have 2 boats available at J-world, we would probably need another 1 -2 boats, cost would approximately be $1000 per person with 6 people per boat.

Clark – may have a connection at a San Diego Marina to get more boats and/or a coach – Clark to investigate further

 

 

Josh – asked for ideas to improve Web site. Current one cumbersome and there is a need to modernize the look and functionality.

Josh/Ross/Mike Shepherd agreed to help with Web site modernization, any other help would be appreciated. Website should include sponsors on site. Everyone agreed that the website should remain current and maybe include J105 articles e.g. “Why did you buy a J105?”

General discussion about Fleet growth and participation

Josh – remarked fleet has grown, but there was still an opportunity for more.

Clark – more GLIOR participation required, high participation in the big events, shows the fleet is healthy. Make the regattas’ affordable, maybe concentrate on COLORS

Mike Sheppard – mentors to new boats (mentor does not have to be owner), more participation in parties to attract younger fleet members

Clark/Peter – advertise sooner about the high profile events, limit crew size (note, this was opposed by Ross and Judith as too restrictive, and they pointed out that a J105 can be competitively sailed with only 4 crew)

Ross – suggested survey to find blockers on boat participation

Branwell – suggested bringing more people out on your boat to showcase the J105 boat

Jon W – maybe only race Sat/Sun for three-day regattas

Gerhard – need to solidify the fleet when a distance race and W/L race is offered within a regatta

Jon W – to get a One Design start need 5 boats on the line

Mark F – suggested prioritizing a race event to get good turnout

Ross – maybe subsidize first time racers for entry costs, mentors can be crew members, not only owners.

Peter S – need-to-know what races are prioritized as a “must attend race”

 

FLEET 5 ARTICLE REVISION

Josh – handed out Article revision document (see article revision document)

General discussion points listed below:

  • Discussion about dual owner membership
  • Discussion about races classified as B3 should be changed to B2
  • Maybe include a special addendum for rig adjustment
  • Fleet to review proposed article changes outside of meeting, a copy of proposed changes will be sent out to all fleet 5 members

 

Treasures Report

Clark 

  • starting bank balance for 2022 was $4,027.30 ending balance was $3,910.73
  • Sponsor check still required from Larsen Marine Services and Vin for 2023
  • Payment of check to Mark F outstanding amount TBD
  • Payment of check to Danielle outstanding amount TBD
  • Payment of check to Josh outstanding amount TBD
  • Mac Party paid
  • No increase of dues for 2023 amount will be $125, one active member per boat
  • Associate member for fleet 5 dues remain at $0